Wednesday, June 28, 2017
4:35-5:50 p.m.
St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church
6000 Grove Ave, Richmond, VA 23226

This event is sponsored by John B. Herrington, III, M.D.

Download Program

Choir of the Church of the Epiphany, Washington, D.C.
Jeremy Filsell, organist and choirmaster
Erik Wm. Suter, guest-organist

The Artists

The Choir at the Church of the Epiphany is a mixture of volunteers and professionals where 8 professional section leaders augment 12 volunteers. The church’s musical tradition has been nurtured for many years by musicians who have brought their artistic and innovative ideas to a church continually morphing into a variety of guises – not untypical of any urban, downtown ecclesiastical institution.  Learn more

Jeremy Filsell is widely recognized as one of very few performers who concertizes equally as organist and pianist. He has appeared as a solo pianist in Russia, Scandinavia, the USA, and throughout the UK. His concerto repertoire encompasses Mozart and Beethoven through to Shostakovich and Rachmaninoff (1st, 2nd, and 3rdconcerti). He collaborates frequently with Wanamaker Grand Court Organist Peter Richard Conte in performances of Rachmaninoff’s Second Piano Concerto with the organ serving as the orchestra.  Learn more

Erik Wm. Suter, a native of Chicago, is a musician of international acclaim. For nearly 10 years, he served as Organist at Washington National Cathedral in Washington, DC. He holds degrees from Oberlin Conservatory and Yale University, where he studied with Haskell Thomson and Thomas Murray, respectively. Previously, he held positions at Trinity Church, Copley Square, and at the Parish of All Saints, both in Boston; and at Trinity Church-on-the-Green in New Haven, Connecticut.  Learn more


The Organ

 Æolian-Skinner Organ Company of Boston
Opus 1110
1951,1968

Download stoplist

This instrument is a landmark as it was the first modern tracker organ in Virginia and one of the earliest in the U.S. It was also the first pipe organ in the Chapel, where it replaced a Hammond electronic from the 1930s. In 1959, the German organ builder Rudolph von Beckerath of Hamburg prepared the drawings, and Music Department Chairman Dr. John White and University President Dr. George Modlin guided negotiations. In September of 1961, 36 crates arrived from Germany and were stored in a large tent just outside the Chapel. Then in early October, three of von Beckerath’s craftsmen came to campus to install the organ. Herr von Beckerath arrived in December to do the final voicing of the pipes, and the organ was finished in January, 1961. It has 41 ranks of pipes made of tin, lead, and wood, the largest measuring 16 feet, the shortest being smaller and thinner than a soda straw. Robert Noehren played the dedicatory organ concert on February 9, 1962. Within a short time, the von Beckerath organ became known to organists in Europe and America as one of the finest Baroque-style organs in the country. It is included in Joseph Edwin Blanton’s seminal book The Revival of the Organ Case, (Venture Press, Albany, Texas, 1965). In 2014, a generous gift made it possible for Taylor & Boody Organbuilders to replace the original Bärpfeife 8′ in the Positiv, a problematic stop from the beginning, with a beautiful new Dulzian 8′ constructed especially for this instrument. They also installed a Zimberstern, including two revolving stars in the façade.


 


The Venue
St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church
6000 Grove Ave, Richmond, VA 23226

Return to Convention Schedule